Thursday, August 10, 2023

Magnet Art Shows Coming Near You

There’s that story about Keith Richards writing most of “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” in his dreams. You know that story, it’s one that’s popular with musicians and artist types. In the middle of the night they have a great idea that is so strong that it wakes them up. To be ready for such inspiration, there’s always a tape recorder or pen and paper conveniently beside the bed. The idea is so good that it wakes them, they document it in some way, and then the next morning they create a piece of art that changes humanity.

That’s exactly how the idea for the magnet shows came to me.  

To be honest, it was nothing like that. I have no paper beside my bed or a tape recorder. If I do any late night changing of humanity, I generally do it before I sleep; that short period of time when I’m unable to sleep and my mind is drifting. When it’s a good night I fixate on things to make the next day, but most of the time it’s just garden variety anxiety. 

Greensboro North Carolina magnet show. Low odor.
Also, it’s not a new idea to create something and then unwillingly foist onto the public. This sort of thing has been around for decades, nothing new. It’s well-meaning littering at worst. I’m sure other folks have done exactly what I plan to do. I’m sure Ray Johnson did it in the 1970’s and theirs some fancy name for it. There’s always someone willing to point out how an idea isn’t new; I’m just waiting for that part. Collage isn’t new and neither is mail art. But guess what, it’s an idea that’s new to me so why not make it happen. I doubt I’ll ever create the visual equivalent to “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” but I’m sure I can come up with a decent “Sing This All Together.”

So far I’ve put up seven different magnet shows. I’m calling them magnet shows. I’ve put them in parking lots in Winston-Salem, near a marsh in Carolina Beach North Carolina, as well as both triad creative reuses stores. Some folks have even been nice enough to volunteer to put up shows in their towns. I’m going to send shows to people in California, New York, Illinois, Virginia, and Asheville North Carolina. If I can find magnets that are light enough, I want to get them overseas. Either the magnet has to be very light or the art has to very small.

I’m also doing group magnet shows. I have the first one ready to go. Each show, whether consisting solely of my work or others, is done in editions of five. No reason for this number, just sounded like a good one. Group submissions have showed up from folks in Nevada to The Netherlands. I’m going to pick “better” spots for the group shows. You know, put them up in places that are visually a little more arresting than attached to the bottom of a light pole in a Food Lion parking lot. I know where the first group show is going to go, I just want to put it up at the perfect time. 

Carolina Beach North Carolina. Saw a guy take the Nixon collage live. Low odor.
Each show comes with a small sign saying what people are looking at, and that sign encourages people to take the art with them. I saw a guy do the latter with the show in Carolina Beach. He took a collage I made glued to wood disparaging Richard Nixon. All shows will be documented on my Jon Foster Mail-Art Makings page through Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/340183173043813/ A written list is ongoing. The project will continue as long as I’m interested in doing it. If you want to participate get in touch. Either you can put up one of my solo magnet shows or you can participate in a group show.

 

No comments: