Thursday, January 5, 2017

"Eat At Slappy's" Collage


Its former resting spot out front.  
I belong to an online group of ‘dudes’ that post a lot of questionable images. It’s a group for about fifteen or so people to annoy and gross out each other. It’s like the back of the bus in high school. A few of the guys in the group work at a chicken restaurant in town name Slappy’s, a very good restaurant. Somehow this small group started making memes with the phrase “Eat at Slappy’s” and then posting them to our small group. Some of those images were quite questionable, silly, or even offensive. It took on a life of its own and blew up. Everyone in the group was slapping the phrase all over strange images found online. It got out of hand, so much so that it was suggested we should stop.

Right in the middle of barrage of images I went upstairs to work on some things. Without much direction I made a couple larger collages with a couple karate dudes right up front. Thinking of what to put with the karate dudes I went with a phrase I’d seen one too many times that week, “Eat at Slappy’s.” It was silly and done quickly but I thought it looked pretty interested.
I sent a message to one of the guys that works at the place and asked if he wanted the thing. Not only did he want it but he said they’d put it up in the restaurant. Since it was going up in the restaurant I decided to go and get a decent frame for the thing. I dropped it off to my friend and he sent me the following picture.

Honestly, I can’t think of a better honor than having my work up in a chicken restaurant in Winston-Salem North Carolina. Some might want their stuff in a nice gallery, or art space of some kind, but I’d rather have mine hanging in a place where the glass collects small flecks of airborne chicken deliciousness. It feels appropriate to have it in such a setting.
A few weeks ago I dropped in to pick up a gift from the guys at the shop and noticed that it had moved from the wall (t-shirts rested there now) to against the window frame looking into the kitchen. It’s moving around, it has a life, and people are seeing it. Hopefully it stays there for a while before they end up tossing it out, or breaking the glass and then sitting in some unused spot in the restaurant. I hope that glass collects a lot of chicken particles.

This is the menu. You should go there if you're in Winston-Salem NC. I'll take you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love me some Slappy's chicken !

FinnBadger said...

Fantastic blog, Jon, great to see your art out and about in the chicken-flecked public.