Monday, November 12, 2012

Buying Scraps - Scrap Exchange Durham NC

One of the more fun things associated with mail-art, or at least the mail-art that I create, is the acquisition of “things.” Since my creations call for old magazines and bits of paper, I somehow have to find these things. It’s rather easy to acquire bits considering how often I go to thrift stores, but they often lack the “good stuff.” I like old paper and strange pictures which isn’t as easy to find as I’d like. Not sure where I found out about the Scrap Exchange in Durham, but I was glad I did. I went there for the first time a couple months ago with my Stef and returned last week before a show in Raleigh. This time I was by myself and had a lot of time to look through things. I spent almost two hours in the place.
These are the things that I purchased. I got a lot of stickers and clear industrial sticky things. I found some pictures as well as a lot of cool envelopes that were rather old. I bought a few stamps and random ephemera. All of my stuff cost less than twenty dollars. I want to go back and I haven’t even used the items I just purchased.
http://www.scrapexchange.org/

4 comments:

Saint Ursula said...

Good thing we don't have a place like that here (that I know of, and I'm not going to look!). I find my stuff at estate sales. I love to go through the office supplies - I've found some cool old mailing labels and stickers.

Looks like you got a good haul - and $20 for the entertainment of time spent and materials acquired is awesome!

zzzzzzzz said...

Hey, thanks for posting a comment. I don't go to estates sales and the like enough, actually rarely at all. I need to start going.

Oh the office supplies are my favorite by far. I'm not really into the crafty things so I generally look for odd bits of paper. Need to figure out something to do with fabric since that seems to be quite plentiful.


For twenty dollars it's a great haul. If you're ever in the area you should really go.

Thanks for saying hello
jon

Anonymous said...

the Scrap Exchange does send/ship items, I think they post on Etsy.Or I'm sure you can email via their website at www.scrapexchange.org and ask/purchase a scrap paper pack/grab bag. No telling what treasures you'll get. They often have other items listed too..... have fun!

Josi Bunder said...

Home listings and homes for sale near your area.
Find your perfect property advertised by owner or real estate agent.
More details homes for sale in maine

I'm Ready For My Close Up

 A picture of my face taken in my office, monochromed, and then printed off in various contexts. Periodically I make printed copies...